Designation: Senior Lecturer
Telephone No.: +254(0)716196331
Personal Website: https://sites.google.com/site/cwamainadekut/
|PhD||Drexel University, USA||2011|
|BSc. Electrical Engineering||University of Nairobi||2007|
Areas of Expertise
- Signal Processing
- Machine learning
- Data Science
- Senior Lecturer – Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, 2015 to date
- Chairman – Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 2014 to 2018
- Lecturer – Dedan Kimathi University of Technology, 2013 to date
- Postdoctoral Research Associate – University of Sheffield, 2011 to 2013
- Research and Teaching Assistant – Drexel University, 2007 to 2011
- Wireless communication applications for development
- Statistical signal processing for speech applications
- Data organisation and analysis for traditional systems of knowledge
- Computational Biology
Other University and National Responsibilities
- Chairman, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 2014 to June 2018
- Reviewer, National Research Fund, 2017 to date
- Kenya Education Network, Special Interest Group on Engineering Education
- External Examiner
- Data Science Africa Organizing Committee 2015 to date
- Girma, S. T., Konditi, D. B., & Maina, C. (2018). A Novel Radio Wave Propagation Modeling Method Using System Identification Technique over Wireless Links in East Africa. International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2018.
- Gebeyehu, Z. H., Langat, P. K., & Maina, C. (2018). BER Performance of Stratified ACO-OFDM for Optical Wireless Communications over Multipath Channel. Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, 2018.
- Memeu, D. M., Sarroney, M. A., & Maina, C. (2018). Photo-Thermal Induced Optical Scattering Modulation Sensor for Malaria Diagnosis. Open Journal of Biophysics, 8(04), 185.
- wa MAINA, C. (2017). IoT at the Grassroots–Exploring the Use of Sensors for Livestock Monitoring. In IST-Africa Conference. IEEE.
- Memeu, D., Merenga, S., wa MAINA, C. (2017). Photoacoustic Sensing In Tissue Using Optical Scattering Modulation. In IEEE AFRICON, 2017
- Hailu, Z., Langat, K., & wa Maina, C. (2017). Stratified ACO-OFDM Modulation for Simultaneous Transmission of Multiple Frames Both on Even and Odd Subcarriers. Journal of Communications, 12(5).
- wa MAINA, C., Muhia, A., & Opondo, J. (2016). A low cost laboratory for enhanced electrical engineering education. In IST-Africa Conference. IEEE.
- wa MAINA, C. (2016). Data Science Africa–An Initiative to Bridge the Data Science Skills Gap in Africa. SciDataCon [link]
- wa Maina, C., Muchiri, D., & Njoroge, P. (2016). A Bioacoustic Record of a Conservancy in the Mount Kenya Ecosystem. Biodiversity data journal, (4).
- wa Maina, C. (2016). Cost Effective Acoustic Monitoring of Bird Species. In Interspeech (pp. 2617-2620).
- wa Maina, C. (2015). Bioacoustic approaches to biodiversity monitoring and conservation in Kenya. In IST-Africa Conference IEEE.
- wa Maina, C. (2015, September). Audio diarization for biodiversity monitoring. In IEEE AFRICON, 2015 (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- wa Maina, C., et al (2014). Inference of RNA polymerase II transcription dynamics from chromatin immunoprecipitation time course data. PLoS computational biology, 10(5), e1003598.
- wa Maina, C., & Walsh, J. M. (2011). Joint speech enhancement and speaker identification using approximate Bayesian inference. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, 19(6), 1517-1529.
- wa Maina, C., & Walsh, J. M. (2011). Log spectra enhancement using speaker dependent priors for speaker verification. In IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), (pp. 4540-4543).
- Walsh, J. M., Weber, S., & wa Maina, C. (2009). Optimal rate–delay trade-offs and delay mitigating codes for multipath routed and network coded networks.IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 55(12), 5491-5510.
- wa Maina, C., & Walsh, J. M. (2009). Joint speech enhancement and speaker identification using monte carlo methods. In Proc. Interspeech (pp. 1375-1378).
- wa Maina, C., & Walsh, J. M. (2008). A cost function level analysis of Auto-correlation Minimization based blind adaptive channel shorteners. In 42nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2008 (pp. 2193-2197). IEEE.
- Walsh, J. M., Weber, S., & wa Maina, C. (2008). Optimal rate delay trade-offs for multi-path routed and network coded networks. In IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, 2008. ISIT 2008. (pp. 682-686). IEEE.
Awards, Scholarships and Recognition
- KENET Travel Grants (2015-17)
- DeKUT Resource Mobilization Award
- Drexel Provost Fellowship
- Ecological monitoring of the Ewaso Ngiro river basin – NRF
- Technological Interventions to mitigate human wildlife conflict
- Kenya Bioacoustics Project – Funded by the African Bird Club
- Re-imagining Electrical Engineering Education Using the Raspberry Pi – Funded by KENET
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination
- Daniel Memeu – Kenyatta University, PhD
- Zelalem Hailu – PAU, PhD Graduated 2018
Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies